Sunday, October 11, 2009

And the move has started...

Today my boyfriend and I started moving my stuff to storage - my garage is so clean and empty, come to think of it, my place is looking a little sparse in areas too. My boyfriend has a 12 year old son. At twelve years old he knows a lot and I'm amazed at his endless patience in dealing with a group of short sighted adults who are soooo uncool.

Do you remember twelve? Do you remember how you knew everything? Do you remember your inability to allow adults to have a conversation without interrupting? Do you remember how you'd die if you didn't get the latest this or that? I remember these things and those memories dance around my head when I hear "soooorrrryyyyyyy" or "oookaaaayyyyyy" or the mumbling as they walk away, because twelve year olds HAVE to have the last word.

Recently we went to the Sequim Animal Park. The twelve year old wanted to go to the petting farm at the end, but we didn't have time. We parked outside the restrooms and went in; since he was going to stay with the car, we left it unlocked, my purse and camera equipment were sitting in the front, the navigational was on the dash. As we're walking out of the restroom, the kid is halfway to the petting zoo. "Where are you going? All of our stuff is unsecure in the car." "Ummm, the restroom." He did an about face and went to the restroom. I'm certain I did something similar frequently (sorry, Mom).

His inability to listen, to follow instructions, and his frequent sarcasm, arguing, and talking back had me a little freaked. I've never lived with a child before and the idea of living with a pre-teen who is in the midst of a hormonal break down some days is frightening. So my boyfriend and I had that talk and then he brought the kid down to help us move (he didn't help) and he was great, and he listened, and we had a great time. He's a fun kid, and so much fun to talk to, and I do not envy the era that he's about to enter, because adolescence sucks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comment!